Over 4 babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) every week in the UK, which is over 200 babies a year. Although SIDS has no known cause, there are several factors that are known to increase the risk of it occurring.
This week is Safer Sleep Week - a campaign from The Lullaby Trust targeting anyone looking after a young baby. With many parents still unsure of the correct things to do and ways to prevent SIDS, this campaign aims to raise awareness of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and to share advice on how parent can reduce the risk.
Things you can do to reduce the risks:
- Always place your baby on their back to sleep
- Don't fall asleep with your baby in an armchair or sofa
- Keep your baby smoke free during and after pregnancy
- Place your baby in a separate cot/moses basket in your room for the first 6 months
- Use a firm, flat, waterproof mattress in good condition
- Remove loose bedding from your baby's cot/moses basket
- Avoid sleeping in the same bed as your baby if you smoke, drink or take drugs, or if you baby was born prematurely or was a low birth weight
Parents have so many things to worry about, so being able to use products that are designed to keep sleeping babies safe are essential.
Although blankets can be safe to use, there is a possibility that they could wriggle down under the covers, which creates the risk of overheating and potential suffercation. Designed with safety as a priority, the Grobag is The Lullaby Trust's recommended baby sleep bag. Thanks to The Gro Company your little one will remain cosy and have a safer sleep.
Moba moses baskets are designed with over 300 air holes around the sides and base to allow maximium ventilation for the baby. They are purposely designed without unnecessary frills, padding and hood to promote airflow making them as safe as possible.
Olivia Askaroff from Moba said: “We are thrilled to be in partnership with The Lullaby Trust to raise awareness of safer sleep practises and to contribute to such a fantastic cause. The Lullaby Trust is a charity close to our heart - after all, the Moba moses basket was born from our desire to give parents the safest possible choice for their little one.”
Make sure you share these tips with your family and friends to ensure safer sleeping for all babies. For more information on Safer Sleep Week visit: www.lullabytrust.org.uk